Low porosity hair is when your hair cuticles are closed so tight that moisture can’t get in. In simple terms, low porosity hair is dry. The key to maintaining healthy hair, is moisture retention. With low porosity hair, that’s harder to achieve because it takes a lot for moisture to penetrate the hair shaft. Warm (not hot) water, hot oil treatments, and moisturizing oils are all great for low porosity hair. The goal is to get as much moisture in as possible. Here are a few more tips on growing and maintaining healthy low porosity hair.
- Stay away from silicones
- Use heat when deep conditioning
- Avoid using too much product
- Use lighter oils (Avocado oil, Almond oil, Olive oil)
- Use the LCO method when applying products
- Use a clarifying shampoo
- Shampoo with warm (not hot) water
- Avoid products with protein
- Look for products that cater to low porosity hair
- Use water based leave ins and styling products
- Avoid heat styling
- Apply products in the shower
When it comes to hair, nothing is one size fits all. Everyone’s hair is different, and everyone’s hair reacts differently. In your journey to healthy natural hair, it’s best to learn your hair first. Learn your porosity type, try different products, and explore different styles. To read more about hair porosity, click here.
Still haven’t purchased your copy of Growing Girls With Curls? No problem, click here to do so!