High Porosity hair is when your hair absorbs moisture quickly, but loses moisture just as fast. If you have high porosity hair, you may experience tangling, frizz, and breakage because your hair is dry and brittle. Genetics, exposure to heat, and chemically processing your hair all affect your hair’s porosity. Building and maintaining a proper hair regimen will help make your hair more manageable. It will also help with growth and length retention. Here are a few tips for taking care of high porosity hair.
- Use Aloe Vera Gel before applying your moisturizer.
- When applying products, use the LOC Method.
- Do a protein treatment at least once a month.
- Avoid using heat.
- Use a sulfate free shampoo to cleanse your scalp.
- Rinse hair in cold water.
- Deep condition your hair once a week.
- Add apple cider vinegar rinses to your weekly routine.
- Pre poo your hair with coconut oil, or olive oil.
- Use heavier creams, butters, and oils to moisturize and seal.
- Don’t deep condition for more than 30 minutes
- Braids and twists (protective styles) are your friend.
When dealing with natural hair, it’s important to remember that no one’s hair is exactly alike. Just because you have high porosity hair, doesn’t necessarily mean that all of these tips will work for you. As always, I suggest trying them out and seeing what works best for you. To learn more about hair porosity, click here.
If you still haven’t ordered your copy of Growing Girls With Curls, you can purchase it here!