Growing up, finding books with characters that looked like me was a task. One would pop up in the library during Black History month every now and then, but that wasn’t enough. Being a mom of two little black girls, it’s important to me that they experience diversity while knowing and loving who they are. I wrote my own book last year about them for that very reason. Even after having my book published, finding other books that featured children of color was STILL difficult. To save everyone else the trouble, I’ve come up with a short list of books featuring children of color.
1.Growing Girls With Curls Written by yours truly
2.Amina Arnae and Her Poofy Hair Written by D.Lovelitt
3.Charles Meets a Fire Marshal Written by Miko Marsh
4. Mae Among the Stars Written by Roda Ahmed
5. The Good Book Written by Da’Nall Wilmer
6. Young, Gifted, and Black Written by Jamia Wilson
7. Emi’s Curly Coily, Cotton Candy Hair Written by Tina Olajide
8. Ava Learned to Sparkle Written by Stephany Jean
9. The Meteorologist in Me Written by Brittney Shipp
10. Mommy I Want to Dance Written by Tasha Fuller
11. How to Trick the Tooth Fairy Written by Erin Russell
12. Aiden the Basketball Star Written by Suzan Johnson
13. My First Best Friend Written by Derrick Washington
14. Hey Black Child Written by Useni Perkins
15. I Am Enough Written by Grace Byers
16. My Brown Skin Written by Dr. Thomishia Booker
17. Black Boy Joy Written by Charlitta Crowder Hatch
18. Brown Boy Brown Boy What Can You Be? Written by Ameshia Arthur
All of the authors on this list saw a need for more books featuring children of color and decided to do something about it. With everything going on in our country right now, it’s important for our kids to know that they are just as important. I don’t care what anyone says, representation DOES matter. Thank you to everyone who has supported me on this journey so far. I’m looking forward to writing more books featuring children of color and finding more books for my girls to read.
Know of a book that’s not listed? Leave a comment down below.
Hi, I’m Chantal. I’m a mom of two, self proclaimed naturalista, and Author of Growing Girls With Curls: Short Stories For Girls of Color. Being a mom is hard. Pair that with being a single, black, millennial in America and it’s a whole different monster. Feel free to join my mailing list and follow along as I blog through this crazy thing called life.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.